Navigating the DPS School Choice Process
In Denver, any student living withing the DPS district who wants to attend a school other than their neighborhood school can take part in School Choice. Round 1 for the 2024-25 school year will open at 10 a.m. on Jan. 11, 2024 and close at 4 p.m. Feb. 12, 2024. We know this can be a daunting experience, so we are here to help!
If you would like in-person information, you can join us for our School Choice 101 and School Fair event on Nov. 9. You can learn more or register for the event here.
We have included a step-by-step process below:
1. Fill out the DPS SchoolChoice application between January 10 and February 12.
- The application is ONLY online and is accessible on a computer, tablet or phone. You can fill it out here.
2. Sign-in or create a SchoolChoice account.
- Login to your current “DPS Parent Portal” account or create a new School Choice Account.
- To create a new SchoolChoice account you will need the following information:
- An email address or telephone number that you can access immediately
- A physical address (you will need to provide proof of address prior to enrollment)
- Your student’s birthdate
- Information on siblings attending DPS school
3. Select and rank your choices.
- You will first select schools from a list of all schools applicable to your child’s grade.
- Then you will rank your choices - ranking a school as your 1st choice means that is the school you most want your child to attend. You can rank up to 12 school selections.
**Hint: Type “DSST” in the search box at the top right to view a list of all DSST schools.**
4. Complete your online application by 4 p.m. February 12, 2024.
If you do not complete your SchoolChoice application by 4 p.m. on Feb. 21, 2024, you will have to wait to make your school selection in Round 2 of SchoolChoice.
Round 2 begins every year after families are notified of their Round 1 school placement, and ends in late August. Round 2 is the first-come, first-served segment of SchoolChoice for families who missed Round 1, took part in Round 1 but want to re-explore their options, or are new to DPS for the next school year. Click here to learn more about Round 2.
If you have any problems or concerns while you are completing the SchoolChoice form:
- Call any DSST school during school hours and we will guide you through the process.
- Click here to explore our schools and find their phone numbers, or call us at 303-524-6324.
- Call the DPS SchoolChoice hotline at 720-423-3493.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How can I enroll my student at a DSST School for next year?
- You must participate in the 2024 DPS SchoolChoice Lottery window from Jan. 10 - Feb. 12. For the best chances to attend a DSST school, please consider multiple DSST campuses and include DSST as the top choice/s of your selections in the lottery. We offer spots each year in grades 6-10, with the most spots available in our incoming 6th-grade classes.
When is the DPS SchoolChoice Lottery window?
- The lottery window opens January 10 and closes February 12 at 4 p.m. You must submit your choices online during this period to be included in the Round 1 lottery.
- Results will be available directly from DPS in mid-March.
How is the lottery administered?
- DPS runs the lottery for all schools and includes your students’ preferences, along with the DSST priorities and available spaces based on your students’ randomly assigned lottery number. Students will be enrolled at their highest preference school with an available seat.
- DSST priorities vary by specific school but generally follow this order: siblings of current students, residents of the enrollment zone (if applicable), Denver residents, and non-Denver residents.
- You will be waitlisted at any school you ranked higher than the school you are assigned to in the lottery.
What is an enrollment boundary/zone?
- An enrollment zone is a geographic area within Denver. Students living within it are guaranteed a seat at one of several schools in that zone, but not necessarily their first choice. Most students receive their first or second choice in the lottery.
- Most DSST Middle Schools (with the exception of DSST: Cedar) are in enrollment zones. If you live where a DSST school is located, prioritize DSST first in your list of choices on the online lottery submission. This will give you priority over students who don’t live in your zone.
My student already attends DSST and I want them to continue to attend DSST. What do I need to do?
- Your current DSST student will continue to be enrolled at the DSST campus they already attend. You do not need to complete a lottery choice form.
- Current DSST 8th-grade students are guaranteed a 9th-grade spot at your middle school's high school counterpart. You do not need to complete a lottery choice form. After completing the 8th grade, they will be automatically enrolled.